History

In 1947, Tony Masotti, the founder of Cortina Pizza, moved to Canada from Italy with only a quarter in his pocket. He worked in the mining industry for a period of time before he and his wife decided to open ‘Cortina Pizza’ named after the town in Italy where he was born.”

The rest is history. In 1964, the first Cortina Pizza location was opened and it was the first take-out and delivery restaurant in the City of Sudbury. It was only a small house situated on Brady Street where Tom Davies Square stands today.

By 1989, there were 22 Cortina Pizza restaurants throughout Northern Ontario and it had become a very successful food establishment. The reason for its success was simple and still holds true today – “Quality Food at Reasonable Prices.”

When Mr. Masotti decided to retire in the mid-1990’s, he no longer supplied food products to the restaurants and as a result, many of them, with the exception of 3, either closed or became other restaurant food establishments. However, the 3 stores that remained opened, continued with the quality food products supplied by the flagship store on Barrydowne road.

In May 2013, there was a revival of the Cortina Pizza franchise with the opening of a new take-out and delivery store on Lorne street in Sudbury. More recently, on November 15, 2013 another Cortina Pizza restaurant opened in the food court of the Rainbow Centre mall in downtown Sudbury.

Cortina Pizza is back with the same recipes and quality food products that made it famous in the North. Stay tuned for more news as Cortina Pizza continues to satisfy its valued customers.

Cortina is true to the heritage of Italy… Here is 10 things we love about Italy: http://player.vimeo.com/video/70776419